Contemporary Summer Watercolor Nail Art
This Mani Monday nail art was inspired by a jumpsuit designed by 3.1 Phillip Lim from his Womens Ready-To-Wear Resort 2014 Collection.
Jumpsuits have become a huge trend this season. I instantly fell in love with the print in this jumpsuit and knew at first glance, I wanted to create a nail look based on this contemporary print.
Take a look at the nails behind the fashion print and then see how I achieved this chic nail design with a few simple steps.
Get These Simple Trendy Nails
The Set Up/Tools:
- Nail Polish Palette: Make a palette for mixing your polish colors using either a paper plate, wax paper, tin foil or what I used which is Saran Wrap.
- Brush Cleaner: Get a small bowl, either a pyrex dish, empty plastic container and pour some acetone and a few drops of tea tree oil. (The tea tree oil will prevent your brush from drying out.)
- Small Angle Brush
- OPI Nail Polish Thinner
- Nail Polish: White, Black, Yellow, Orange, Light Blue, Dark Blue, Light Green, Dark Green
These are the colors I used for this nail art.
- Vinylux Creme Puff: EBAY, AMAZON
- Black: Nail Art Duo by Art Club
- Yellow: Darcy by Zoya
- Orange: Thandie by Zoya
- Light Blue Rocky by Zoya
- Dark Blue: Mesmerize by Essie, Mesmerize by Essie
- Light Green: Josie by Zoya
- Dark Green Going Incognito by Essie AMAZON, Nordstrom
- Dry Fast Top Coat: Seche Vite Ulta Beauty, Sally Beauty Supply, CVS
- Start with a full white nail. I used 2 coats of Vinylux Creme Puff by CND
- The First Layer: Dab your polishes onto your palette and thin them out a bit with OPI Nail Polish thinner. Using a small angle brush, apply a few brush strokes of the lightest shade of each color onto your nails. (Clean off your brush in between colors with your brush cleaner solution)
- Second Layer: Using the same technique dab a bit more polish to your palette and re apply more strokes of the darker shade over the first shade. Creating a water color effect to your nail. (To create a dusty look to the orange shade, apply a stroke of blue over parts of the orange area)
- Using a striping brush or Nail Art Duo pen Apply black lines over the uneven edge of the colors, creating an uneven border. (Mimicking the pattern in the jumpsuit)
- Wait 5 minutes for your stripes to dry.
- Apply your favorite Dry Fast Top Coat for a brilliant shine! I used Seche Vite for this nail design.
(Photo: 31philliplim.com, Nail Photos: Holly Singer for The Trendy Nail)